How to Choose a Knee Surgeon
Knee surgery in Adelaide can help provide answers to your questions about knee injuries, rebuild movement in the knee and promote knee health. With so many people living with knee injuries these days, finding a right knee surgeon in Adelaide is essential for their well-being and the healing process. Here are six of the top tips for finding the right doctor in this area.
– Interview several surgeons and choose at least three. They will have different specialisation and also come from various medical backgrounds. The more they are known, the more likely you will find someone who can provide you with the best possible results. You should also ask them about the training they have received, especially if you have specific needs such as an anterior cruciate ligament tear, meniscus tear, or other issues that may require rehabilitation after an injury.
– Check out their credentials. Most Knee Surgeon installed in Adelaide has been performing medical services for many years and typically have extensive experience. They should also be board certified in orthopaedics, neurology, paediatrics and internal medicine. Ideally, they will also have additional formal training through other accredited medical schools. You can usually learn about the surgeon’s credentials by checking their medical school profiles or going directly to the Web site for each medical school.
– Be clear about what surgery they are willing to perform. Please find out the exact surgical procedure they prefer for your situation. Ask them if they are open to doing the arthroscopic knee surgery or the mini-ligament surgery combined. Will they work alone or with other patients? What about general anaesthesia?
– Consider their qualifications. Their medical education should include specific training and seminars on the specific techniques they are trained in. You should also find out if they have any specialised training from another specialty like plastic surgery, reconstructive surgery, cardiology, orthopedics or cardiovascular medicine. Ask them how many years of experience they have.
– Ask about the board certification of the surgeon. Board certification is a means of indicating the strictness of the surgeon’s standards. It’s also a sign that the physician has received oversight and is under the supervision of a physician specialist or senior staff. You should also consider the number of patients that the doctor has served in the past and how procedures he is considered qualified.
– Find out how long the recovery time is. You might need to be off work for a few weeks, but the entire rehabilitation process could take a year or more. During this period, you will need to follow the physician’s advice and schedule your rehabilitation carefully. Even after the surgery, you will still have some limitations until you completely recover. Take extra precautions not to aggravate the injury.
– Find out about the costs of the surgery. The costs will vary depending on the type of knee surgery and other factors, so it is best to contact several doctors to estimate. You should also consider the length of time you will be off work since knee surgeries usually take between six to eight months before you are fully recovered. An excellent Knee Surgeon installed in Adelaide should be able to provide you with all this information before the procedure.
– Ask whether you can have a choice as to which surgeon performs your surgery. Most surgeons will offer you this service, as it makes their job easier. They will also assess your condition and prepare the operation to ensure that you don’t suffer from any severe side effects. You can also go in for a knee replacement if you are sure that your knee is in good condition.
– It is crucial to choose a surgeon that is accredited with the Medical Council of South Australia. The Medical Council is the governing body for medical education, training and practices. They keep a record of doctors who have met specific standards of care. This includes an examination of the doctor’s knowledge, experience and qualification. To be accredited, a surgeon must specialise in knee surgery. Once you find a surgeon with this certification, you can be assured of the highest quality service.
– Arthritis is a widespread condition that affects the knee. Many people also develop osteoarthritis. If you have developed osteoarthritis, then the knees may become stiff and start causing pain. A surgeon with knowledge and experience in treating arthritis is highly recommended, especially if you are not a smoker and you do not already have joint problems.